One of the highlights of Saturday of the show will be the live Miniature Quilt Auction at noon.
Members of the guild contribute handmade mini quilts to raise money to support the Educational Grant Program for the next two years. The major goal of the grant program is to make funds available to educational organizations in the surrounding area to help supplement material cost involved in the promotion of the art of quilt making or quilt history.
- At Coleman Middle School in Wichita an after school sewing club was started. The girls learned basic sewing skills along with quilting techniques. They each made a small quilt.
- Goddard High School’s Interior and Textile Design class designed and created a quilted pillow using applique, piecing and crazy quilt techniques.
- The Wichita Women Initiative Network (WIN) supports women survivors of domestic abuse. The women in this program learned basic sewing and quilting techniques to raise their self-esteem. They made table runners, placemats and lap quilts that were sold at the WIN craft shows.
- Nickerson High School students in the Textile and Design II class made a Friendship Quilt.
- Prairie Quilt Guild Kids Camp program purchased 4 Janome sewing machines for the summer program. These sewing machines will also be used in the new program with the Girls Scouts.
We are pleased again this year to have McCurdy Auction as our auctioneer for the Miniature Quilt Auction. The mini quilts will be on display Thursday, Friday and Saturday before the auction. Come visit the exhibit, pick up a bidding number and join the auction at noon.
GUILD MEMBERS! We would like to encourage all guild members to either donate a mini quilt, runner, or topper that they make or make through their bee. The guidelines for the quilts are:
- Size – maximum 160″ perimeter (40″ X 40″)
- Have a sleeve or hanger (rings) if intended to hang
- Have a label with your name, date and title
- Entries will be accepted at the April, May and June guild meeting.
If you have any questions please call Susan McMillan 316-650-2353 or email@example.com.